Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Netserver LP2000r

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1Tech

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I have a HP net server and I want to Duplex the HDD that contains the system partition. My problem is that is there any way I can do this without a RAID card? Because the machine has two internal SCSI channels I thought it would be possible to duplex as standard. If so what tool do I use to configure this?

Thankyou in advance

F1
W.Douglas@jaguar-racing.com

Do you mean mirror the disk ? Sorry, I've never heard of calling it duplexing.

If you are running your Netserver using Windows Server (NT4 or 2000) you have access to Disk Fault Tolerance already. It must be the server version
If you are running your Netserver under LINUX you can get disk mirroring software for free, or buy one of the "server" installations from someone like Redhat or Mandrake or SCO.
If you are running Solaris, the disk mirroring software is included in the package called DiskSuite (SUNWmd in Sunspeak). It needs to be installed separately to the OS.
Sorry, I don't know about Novell.

There are also 3rd party disk fault tolerance packages available.

These are all software solutions to disk mirroring as opposed to the hardware route of using RAID controllers. They acheive the same aim, sort of. Software RAIDing is slower because it is competeing with other programs for central resources, whereas hardware RAID has it's own dedicated resources. Software RAIDing is also subject to OS failure.

Hope this helps Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Just for clarity, mirroring can be done on one controller while duplexing requires two separate controllers. The best way to do it is to mirror and duplex; if a drive or a controller fails you can recover gracefully. Go to to see a real neat graphic representation of all levels of RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back