Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP ML150 Slow SATA Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulovey

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
GB
Hi,

We are currently evaluating a new entry level server for our customers.

In the HP ML 150 G3

We setup a RAID1 over two 80Gb SATA hot swap disks. And to test the rebuild removed one disk to break the mirror.

As expected the server kept working, and on replacing the disk, it starting to rebuild the mirror again.

But it took a very long time, over 16 hours.

Has anyone else had this problem of slow rebuilds on what are meant to be fast drives?

TIA,

Paul

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Paul,
This may be coming a bit late, but in case you're still looking for answers....

What OS are you using? What array controller? Have you checked the rebuild priority in the "controller settings" on the array controller?
You should be able to get to the controller settings via the smartstart CD or on a window box you may have an array configuration progam utility. Select the Array and then you get the controller setting options. By default I believe the priority is set to low, so anything else running on the server would take priority over the rebuild. Also, SATA drives are relatively slower compared to SCSI.

Greg

Hi Blister,

Thanks for the response.

The OS is SBS 2003

Using the on board Raid Controller (6 Port SATA), yes it is set to high priority for rebuild.

I must admit its not the best server in the world. You need to use a usb floppy to install drivers, as there no floppy as standard.

No lights to indicate activity on the hot swap bays, when using the on board raid controller...

I think its just as you say SATA is slower than SCSI.

Have you had any experience of SAS drives compared to SCSI??

Cheers,

Paul.

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

SAS is Serial Attached SCSI and it is blazing fast. HP will be migrating all of its U320 products to SAS over the next 6 - 12 months.

All of the new servers we are getting are SAS. I believe we have 7 so far. However, I have not had the opportunity to do any side-by-side comparisons of SAS vs SCSI (U320).

The specs that I looked at really didn't compare the speeds in the same format and kind of misled you to think SAS was way faster than SCSI (U320), but after doing some calculations it appeared that SAS would be as fast if not a touch faster than its U320 counterpart. Our major driving factor, initially, was the lower power draw and heat generation of the drive.

The big payoff with SAS is with multiple spindles and the way the bus works. Single Drive to Single Drive would not be jaw dropping.

I think the SATA RAID rebuild is just plain slow. Just got a ML310 with 2 80Gb Sata hot swaps for an SBS2003 and it's doing a rebuild (in DOS)as i type. Not tested windows rebuild yet. Its at 22% and it's been on for 1.5 hours. It was a cheap server though. £550 for 3.2 Duo, 2Gb Ram and 2 80 Gb Sata hot swaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back