Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp LJ4200 PCL XL error

Status
Not open for further replies.

buztwet

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
This is what is happening: I am printing a large document, the ouput tray becomes full, the lcd shows a message saying the output tray is full. I pull the pages out of the output tray, it prints out and error message, and begins printing again from the beginning of the document. Following is the error page:
PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: Illegal Operator Sequence
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 15484
I want to be able to print until the tray is full, clear the tray and have the printer continue the job from where it left off.

0x1b is not a legal Operator tag value (all legal PCLXL Operator tag values are 0x41 or greater).

However, 0x1b is the PCL5 <escape> character.

So it looks like either the printer has lost its position (and is incorrectly parsing the remainder of the print stream), or perhaps the sending end has sent out some sequence (with an escape character) in response to the 'bin full' condition.

If the first, this implies the printer firmware is at fault; if the second, this implies that the port monitor is at fault. (Or someone else might think of another explanation).

Unfortunately, I can't suggest any workaround, other than to revert to the PCL5e or PostScript drivers; neither of these will cause any PCLXL (PCL6) errors, although they may bring with them other problems and foibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back