Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP LeftHand P4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

KubaKuba

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2015
CA
Hello everyone,
This will be my first post to the forum. Writing here today as I have very little experience with network storage.

Some background info. I purchased an HP Lefthand P4300 SAS from eBay with the intention of using it with Citrix.
Was able to use it for a several days. Obviously I don't want to keep this SAS running all day so one of the first
obstacles was trying to figure out how to gracefully power this equipment off when needed. I never found this in the
management software but hitting power would eventually hush this beast. On the third day, this device would not start up.
Brought the device in to a shop to have it diagnosed. Good news, the server is healthy. Bad news, the technician was very
reluctant to provide any details as to what was wrong or how he fixed it aside from the fact that he used Ubuntu Linux to
diagnose and fix the problem.

Brought the device home, used it for the evening and then powered it off. In the morning, it would not start up as before.
So here are some details:
- I know the components are in working order (power supplies, CPU, memory, fans, etc)
- The Power Button on the front of the device is AMBER.
- Internally I am seeing a flashing GREEN LED.
- This is a LINUX based SAS.

If I had to take a guess, there are some error codes that need to be addressed or cleared on the device before it will
startup. I am at a loss as to how to even get this device to boot up in a service mode. Can anyone provide a hint as
to how to get started.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back