Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP laserjet IIIp: error code 52

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha11

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2002
GB
My old workhorse does not suck in the paper, and comes up with a "code 52" error. I have not got a manual for it. Any constructive suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Without looking up the error I would suspect you need new feed rollers. But you could look at the paper stack and see if it moves up when it is supposed to feed.
The paper stack is latched down until needed, then cam released up to the pickup roller for one sheet to be slid off the pile.
It can be a problem with the rollers not pulling the paper, not turning, or the stack not getting lifted up high enough for the rolls to pull a sheet. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

A error 52 error should be a scanner motor problem on this unit. You have to take a lot of things out to fix it but generally replacing this part will fix that particular problem. If you have another one around I would swap that motor first to be sure it's not a board or cable since the part is expensive for an old printer (part number is RG1-1771) and runs from 25.00 for a refurb to 49.00 for a new one at
Good Luck

You can be assured you need to replace the scanner motor. (RG1-1771) If you're in the States and mechanically inclined, go to for a cheap fix with video instructions.

The scanner makes a very distinctive noise normally, listen for the motor to begin spinning, if no noise then definitely replace. If the error pops up when you try printing I would go with the new Pickup roller before the scanner. Normally it would give you a 13x paper jam error, but I have seen it produce the 52 error. Put not your trust in princes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back