Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp Laserjet 4100

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfroggigger

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2002
US
Here is my question, we have a windows 2000 based domain with all printers shared on the server. All the windows 2000 & XP computers print fine to the printers, but the windows 98 ones seem to have some problems. I'll notice through the day the 98 machines seem to lose the printer, it says "user intervention required" so i delete the printer and try to reinstall it, but it will not install, so i delete all the queueitems. And then reinstall the printer and works fine. Basically the problem that i'am having are 1.)the networked printer stops working on the 98 machines.
2.) Why are there only a few queued items under the printer and why only after i delete all the queue's it starts working on the 98 machines.

Thanks for the help.

Try installing the latest PCL 5 driver for the Win98 clients using the HP port monitor printer install wizzard. (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/hpspmnt.exe for WinNT/2K/XP and ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/hpspm98.exe for Win95/98/ME)
Also upgrading the JetDirect card`s firmware might help on resolving the issue of loosing the connection.

This won't solve your problem, but it may save you re-installing printers.

When printer stops printing, have you checked that neither Pause Printing or Use Printer Offline are checked. These are found on the Printer menu of the Print Queue window.

I also have a few win98 machines that seem to like to go off-line occasionally. Just uncheck offline and you're going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back