Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Laserjet 2100 Printing problesm

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaker

MIS
Nov 27, 2001
US
I have 2 users that share an HP Laserjet 2100 TN printer. They would like to utilize the 2 paper trays, but if they specify a tray to pull paper from, rather than automatically select, the printer reverts to manual feed from the bottom tray and will not allow either of them to print until all print jobs have been run manually.
This leaves 2 problems: 1) I can't tell my CFO to go stand by the printer and push the power button for every page that he wants to print 2) No matter which tray is selected, it pulls from the bottom tray.
Pretty much pulling out what's left of my hair on this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[mad]

Are the 2 users using different computers or the same computer?

They are using different computers, sharing printer.

Is this printer setup on a print server, or are the two computers connecting to the printer over the network? If a setup on a print server, are the tray settings you want setup on the print server, or on each individual computer?

The two users connect directly via network.

Two users connected directly via network.

Are they connected directly or to the network?

More to the point where is the printer plugged into? A computer on the network (server or workstation) or a Jet Direct card (or external unit)?

I guess that was poorly worded. Printer connected by a Jet Direct 600N card.

Ok next question. Are the users printing to a print server (windows 2000 box) or are they printing directly to the printer via jetadmin?

If they are printing to a print server you may want to reinstall the drivers on the printer and set the default tray to #1.

If the users are using jetadmin you can reset your printer to its defaults or manualy tell it to print to tray1. (see below)

Ok break out your good old DOS skills and open up a cmd prompt.
1)Type "edit reset" and press enter. (no quotes)
enter the following line exactly. (note to make an escape character under edit Hold down CTRL-P, release it then press ESC) <- symbolizes an escape character.
<-E
save this file. Now &quot;copy reset \\printer_name
This will reset your printer to the factory defaults.
2) To set the printer to always print from tray 1 unless otherwise selected: command prompt again.
Edit tray1 (no quotes)
<-&l4H (yes thats a lower case L not a 1)
save this file. now &quot;copy tray1 \\printer_name

Those commands are PCL commands and will interface with the printer directly without drivers.

You can find more info on them at
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back