Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Laser Jet 4500 on WinXPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul00

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
LT
Hello
When I am trying to install HP 4500 Colour printer
on Windows XP throught HP install printer wizard
I receive:
Unable to install the printer. Please power cycle your printer and, if applicable, the external Jetdirect print server. Then restart this application. If you need more details, click 'More Information'.
There has been an unexpected, undefined error. The JetDirect print server or the network might have gone down while you were installing or configuring it.
Try installing your print server and configuring it again.
For More Information
Index for the HP Install Network Printer Wizard <../index.htm>
Glossary <../glossary.htm>

Best regards

Paul

Hi Paul, how are you trying to connect the 4500, I take it that you are trying to install it on a network right?

First what you need to try doing is to print a configuration page from the printer (menu until you come to the information menu, item until you come to print configuration page and then select). this will ensure that the printer is recognising the JD card as it should be seen under installed options, the printer should also print an EIO configuration page which will have the ip address of the printer.

From a command prompt type ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the ip adress of the printer and make sure that you are getting 4 replies.

The best thing that you can do is install it as a local printer, and then under the ports tab, create a standard tcp/ip port (add port option in the options tab). Follow through the add add HP standard TCP/IP option', and this should solve your problem.

PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THIS HAS HELPED YOU OR NOT

My advice is limited to my personal opinion, and the information I have been provided with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back