Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Jet Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickhills

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
GB
not really a VB problem i know, so forgive me if you feel this post is out of place.

After receiving our new HP Laserjet 4100DTN, and downloading the "Printer Status & Alerts" application from HP, it seems that the JetDirect servers are able to advertise the level of consumables remaining in a network printer.

It would be very useful to be able to build an application which is able to interrogate the 30 or so laser printers in our organisation to give relevant staff an idea when new toner & maintenance kits need to be re-ordered.

ok, i have tried to open the cab files that come with the software, but of course its an install shield cab, and thus i can't open it.

so my questions.....
1.) does anyone know how/if its possible to open an install shield cab, so that i might be able to have a play with any dlls included in it
2.) any ideas on what sort of protocols, or connection methods the JD servers use or any other experience of a similar nature

i propose to build the application as a VB Com object (hence the post in this forum) and stick an ASP front end on it

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Strangely, it seems that when the printer is shared using MS file/print sharing the print server (that is the windows box rather than the jet direct) needs to have its parallel port set to “Bi-Directional ECP” mode even though neither the printer, nor anything else is connected to it.

Perhaps a virtual port is created in this instance???

If anyone can throw any light on this I’d be most greatful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back