Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP F4180 continually installing new copies of software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob2c

Technical User
Feb 23, 2005
GB
I have a HP F4180 printer and when I turn it on the software often starts to install a new version of the software, which, takes time and really frustrates me when I want to print a letter. Can anyone solve this problem perhaps with an alternative software application?

I'm assuming you have completely uninstalled the printing software and re-downloaded the latest package for your printer from HP and it still does that? If not, do so and it will likely fix that issue.

If you have completed the above, I would uninstall the software and driver, run CCleaner on the registry side, manually delete the HP Printer folder in Program Files, and look through the registry for any other entries missed by CCleaner. Then reinstall from a fresh download.

If all of that doesn't work, you can just install the driver instead of the whole software package from HP and then it wont have anything that it would be trying to install.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Well, that seems to have fixed it but I have lost the scan function, still not to worry it's a whole lot better than it was and so I will have some hair left after all..LOL Do you know if the scan software is separate from the customer support software per chance? [bow]

When I get back home I'll check the link and try to link you the drivers needed. Usually the basic printer driver only installs the printing functionality but not scan or fax. You would likely have to download and install the full software package and do the advanced install and check which options you want to install.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I look forward to that. I still have the original disk that came with the printer.

I have tried to use the link in paint to get the image from a scanner or camera but it is not enabled on my system. I have also tried a number of other paint type programs but norton won't allow most of them to install.

Well it is printing and copying with the bigger of the two basic drivers, but no scan....hmmmm

My windows photo gallery has a link to a "Import from scanner camera" command but it just launches an empty aplet where the printer should be shown but is'nt.

So you have downloaded the 245MB driver package from HP for your printer, correct? What OS are you installing it on? When I use the link you provided or go through my own search on HP, looking at Windows 7 drivers, all I see is the Full package and AIO drivers.

Im going to download it then install and will give you a list of options to check that you want to install so you do not get the full software package.

no, I un-installed the full driver package that came with the printer. I then, from a choice of basic drivers installed the second of two basic driver options for the All In One printer. Here is the web page and the driver is 50.9 mb I have used the printer successfully but have to cancel the installation invitation that starts when the printer is switched on.

Download the full driver package and unisntall what you have already installed printer-wise. Run the installer after you download it. Hit "Next" once then hit "HP Software to be installed, click here to customize." I would check the first two and uncheck the rest. This should allow you to have full functionality and not the rest of the crap. If you need the OCR scanning for scanned PDF files, you can install that but I doubt you will. Also, if you find that some buttons you need, either on the printer or in the software, then go back and install HP Photosmart Essentials.

Well it looks like you have done it! prints scans copies brilliant, Thanks alot

Glad to help. Hopefully she stays running for a while without any other issues.

It looks like it will, I avoid the invitations to complete installation whenever they come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back