Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP EVA 6000 San - 350gb to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallows

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
We have a HP EVA 6000 San with a LUN containing 350gb of data. We are running out of space on that LUN so we created a larger LUN. Now we need to copy the data from the old LUN to the new. I am not the Admin of the SAN and don't know anything about it. I'm the Unix Admin.

The San admin says that he cannot increase the size of the old LUN so he had to create the new one. I have no problem in using tar or ufsdump to transfer the data but was wondering if the SAN admin had a way to copy the data over for me. My thinking is that would be much quicker than me using tar to move it over.

So, I guess my question is, Is there a more efficient way of moving that much data over? I'm thinking that tar will take 5 or 6 hours and was hoping to reduce that time if possible.

I can't ask the San Admin cause he has only been in that position for a week and knows about as much as I do.

Our server is running Solaris 9 and that LUN has the Oracle DB on it. Not sure if that matters:))

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gallows

Although your SAN admin may not be able to expand the currently assigned LUN why don't you add the newly assigned disk space via your OS as opposed to copying from one LUN to another. As I can see you eventually going through this exercise when you run out of space once again.

I'd go through the solaris lvm as well.But placing a guy in a san admin position without having knowledge about it ?? My condolences if one day there is a severe SAN issue :)

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

itsp1965 - I don't understand what you mean. The new lun will be assigned via the OS. But I still need to move the data into it from the existing LUN. What am I missing?

Thanks RMGBELGIUM. This situation is pretty stupid.
How do I go through lvm? I'm familiar with LVM but don't see how that would work.

If you're familiar with LVM, you should be looking at a new LUN with just the extra needed space, not a new bigger LUN. Then using LVM actions, increase the size of your volume group and then increase the size of the filesystem using the newly added space in the volume group. (I'm not a Solaris guy - AIX - but AIX and Solaris LVM is basically the same)

If you can't increase the size of a LUN at the SAN server side, then do the operation on the host side.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks p5wizard.
Currently none of our SAN LUNs are under LVM control. The only command I know to increase the size is growfs. If this partition was mirrored, I could use the growfs and do what you suggested. I will look into LVM more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your suggestion!!

For future reference you can increase LUN sizes on EVAs

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Update.
Increasing the size of the LUN on the EVA was not a problem. Getting Solaris 9 to recognize the new size was the problem. According to SUN I should be able to do this by going into Fomat, select the LUN, and use the auto-configure option, and label the disk. Data will still be there so I won't have to worry about a back up, although, I'm probably going to do one anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back