Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP EVA 5k Vdisk migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

stehazza

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
GB
I have two HP eva 5k, each one being maintained by a seperate management appliance (MA III).. I need to move a vdisk of 20Gb from one eva to the other. Is there a simple process for migrating (to include presentation to host)??

Any ideas or processes appreciated!

There is no built in method. The closest thing would be to use Continous Access, which replicates a vdisk from one EVA to another. It's not meant as a migration tool, but a disaster tolerance feature. It's licensed, and it costs a fortune I'm afraid.

Depending on the availability requirements, you have a few other options. The most obvious one is to create a similar vdisk on the target EVA and just copy the data via the host. This can be refined using a volume manager, the feasibility depending on your OS.
Backup the original vdisk to tape and restore to the new vdisk is of course also possible.
/charles

Thanks charles..

In my search for a simple solution does anyone have any view on Business copy EVA ??

If i can get away with just creating new vdisks on the second eva and then copying then fine but i am trying to keep to some kind of Best practice?? for future occassions!

Thanks in advance...

Guy,

In my company we have chosen to make a host based copy too for DRP (we have 4 EVA 5000). This process is "non-vendor dependant" and doesn´t have cost..

If you have performance issues during the copy , I would suggest to assign the source Vdisk to HBA emx0 , for example , and the destinantion for the emx2.

You can also (if the environment accept) create a destination Vdisk without Mirrored write cache.

I did it and I´m achieving more than 200 MB/s in this type of replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back