Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Elitebook 8470w display/keyboard issues while loading Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Hello, All:

I'm working on a laptop (HP Elitebook 8470w) where the LCD and keyboard stop functioning while Windows loads.
The laptop gets as far as "Starting Windows" and I can see the Windows logo but shortly afterwards, the LCD goes black
(an external monitor works fine). The keyboard also stops functioning (there are no LEDs on the CAPS and NUM LOCK but an external keyboard works fine).

I've updated the BIOS, reverted the BIOS back to factory settings, updated the graphics and keyboard/input drivers and reloaded Windows. I've also ordered and replaced the keyboard and LCD. The only other thing seems to be either the motherboard or the graphics card itself (it's not on-board) but replacing the motherboard's going to be a pain.

Am I possibly missing something?

Thanks for your assistance,

MB

I forgot to mention that both the LCD and keyboard work in Safe Mode With Networking.

MB

Do you have an external monitor and keyboard plugged into it when installing? If so, it's probably "defaulting" over to the external monitor, and turning off the LCD.

Potentially the same with the keyboard, especially during install.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

gbaughma said:
Potentially the same with the keyboard, especially during install

Not sure about that. From my experience, the default monitor shouldn't affect the keyboard - all attached keyboards should continue to function normally. Now, it is possible that for some reason, Windows hasn't yet setup the driver for the integrated keyboard. So as a test, boot up the laptop without the external monitor or keyboard attached. When the screen goes blank, let it sit for about 10 minutes. That should be plenty of time for Windows to have properly detected and installed the integrated keyboard.

MB,

I'm also curious, does the laptop show any HDD activity after the screen goes blank? Does it appear to be doing anything? Are the fans running?

You said an external monitor and keyboard work fine. Do you mean that with both attached, you can get into Windows?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

gbaughma:

I've only connected the external display and keyboard for testing purposes - it's not connected while the laptop's being reimaged.

cdogg:

The laptop's functional (hard drive activity, fans spinning, etc.) but the LCD goes blank/keyboard stops functioning after "Starting Windows"/the Windows logo
appears. If I connect an external display and keyboard, I'm able to see the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen and login using the external keyboard.

Thank you both for replying,

MB

while the laptop's being reimaged."

... that's a different critter than installing Windows 7 from a regular install.

I would make sure that the image that you are using has the proper display driver, and is in fact the image for that particular model of laptop.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I see what you're saying but the same image that I'm applying is the same image that was on the laptop prior to this issue occurring.
I've also updated the driver to the most current version that HP has on their website. I'm still puzzled as to why both the keyboard and LCD aren't working
at the exact same time, as if something's disabling them (both the keyboard and LCD work properly in safe mode with networking).

With the external monitor and keyboard attached, boot into Windows. Check Device Manager for any flagged items. Go ahead and download all hardware drivers and install them, especially both the Intel Chipset and Rapid Storage drivers. Reboot back into Windows. Update the BIOS and reboot again.

By the way, are you plugging the keyboard/monitor directly into the laptop, or are they attached through a port replicator or docking station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back