Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP dual core hard drive seems to work and work on boot up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdashack

Technical User
Mar 24, 2009
US
Have this HP desktop running XP (there is a program looking out for XP safety still) and it runs well or at least it does when it finally is done booting up. But recently I noticed it seems to go through a long time of prolonged HD frantic activity after the taskbar and tasktray are loaded. Some what similar to what you might expect from a new search by search indexing. But when I check the search status all is done. I also keep it clean and defraged regularly

Have I got my settings wrong in resources? See attachments? Or any other suggestion? When this frantic activity is done the pc works great ... fast for and old geezer! Thanks very much, Jack ":-Dx

System Info
hd_3_wxepdu.gif

Memory Usage
hd_1_floknr.gif

Resource Settings
hd_2_dz3ddn.gif

When was the last time you cleaned out the system of junk files? cached web pages and the such? What about defragmenting the drive? When was the last time you did a clean install of xp? if the answer is more than 2 years ago, my first suggestion is save your data off to an external drive, wipe the drive and lay down a fresh install. I know this is painful, but XP was not very good at managing itself and will clutter up over time, sometimes third party software can help, but the best way is just wipe the drive and start fresh. I see nothing wrong with the settings, you could always try setting let windows manage the page file space and see if you gain any speed but I doubt it will have that big of an impact.

rclarke250: I can see your point exactly, and the same thing I think when my friends say their machines are going bad. However, I regularly clean all the junk, run spyware and malware and defrag. Almost to a fault, maybe 2 to 3 times a week. This particular pc was given to me defunct. I brought it home and ran the factory recovery on it maybe a little over a year ago. Okay and thanks for your time. I see your suggestions. It's not the speed per say when it's done all the frantic work it's just fine. I have no complaints for an XP of this age and technology. It just seems to be hyeractive after the desktop has appeared, which it does in decent enough time. It's just after this has appeared. Or maybe it's even while loading the tasktray. I do not think I have an over abundance of tasktray programs running. Maybe I should use a startup manager. Do you have a suggestion for one? Thanks agin rclarke250. Appreciate your time. jack ":-Dx

Autoruns is good to see everything starting up but MSCONFIG might be a bit safer if you aren't familiar with it.

Windows XP DID get "hardening of the arteries" after a couple of years regardless of temp file cleanout, etc.

You might want to test the hard drive as a sudden slowdown can be a number of things:
malware or eminent hard drive failure.

It's about time to put that XP machine away as it's no longer supported and more of a malware magnet.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks goombawaho: I am very familiar with msconfig. Hard Drive is not slowing as I mentioned above, but contrary, is working like crazy. It seems to have diminished somewhat. Agree to disagree on the XP's death. Google for XP's Still Alive and Kickin' ... There are several programs out there that say they will keep up with XP maintenance. There is also an unofficial Service Pack 4. I run several programs for cleaning on a regular basis and Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and then Auslogics Defrag. I also have helped several friends keep their XP's running good. I do have an Android Tablet and an HP 8.1. I just am not going to toss 3 good XP's out the window. I'll keep them going as long as I can. I do appreciate your time. G'day! ":-Dx Jack

Ok, but just read this. Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back