Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP drivers causing files and printer slowness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dippncope

Technical User
Sep 22, 2008
US
I had 500 users having the same issue and would like to share it with the Tek-Tips community. Her is what was happening to all of my users but myself and one user.
Any document, .doc, .xls, .pdf., ,txt would take anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes to open and another 1 to 20 minutes to print. Didnt matter if files were on the local hd or on a network share. Printers are from a print server in another city. I bypassed server and went to ip port printing. Same results. Every user gets 4 xerox multifunction devices in login script plus an hp printer of their choice. My one good user was the only one who did not have any of the hp's. She had a local cannon printer.
That started me looking at the HP printers. I have 4240's 4250's 4350's 8000's 5si's plus some more models.
I started removing the HP's one at a time from a group of my testers.
The problems were all related to the 42xx series. As soon as these were removed performance went back to what it should be.
I then tried changing the drivers. They were all at pcl6 so I changed them to pcl5. same results. I changed them to ps. same results. I then tried the HP universal print driver and my problems went away.
Has anyone else run across something like this before?
I put this up on the forum so someone else doesnt have to beat their head against the wall looking for an answer

Hello dippncope.

very recently all my hp networks printers have started to act up like you'rs. we have 4250's mainly and they take forever to spool and pause between each printed page.

the print server is window server 2003. the clients are XP sp2.

i have tried a different print server and moved all clients to those shared printers but now the problem happens on this server. :( the only printer that seems to be uneffected is a kyocera km3035 network printer.

Did you find out what was causing the issue? or find a fix?

Regards,

Michael

overdraft015
Never did find a cause. for a fix I changed ALL of my hp print drivers to HP PCL5 Universal Print Driver, both local and network printers. after changing to the universal driver all performance issues went away. Hope that helps. Good luck. here is the link to the driver I used.

DippNCope

I had to remove all of the printers from my users pc's. I found that even if an HP printer was installed with any other drivers the problem remained. So for a test delete all of a users printers and add them back with an ip port for the networked printers and try it with the universal drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back