Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DL360 server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomlight

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
US
Our company is going to buy a HP server. After talking to CDW, I got 2 quotes. One is for regular DL360 server and another one is for Smart Buy DL360 server (see details below):

(1) HP Proliant DL360 Server: 2.33 GHz Dual-core; 1GB Ram; SATA/SAS; 10/100/1000 ETHERNET; MFG.PART: 416562-001; $2,500

(2) HP Smart Buy Proliant DL360 G5 Server: 2.00GHz Quad Core E5335; 2GB Ram; hot-swap 2.5"; Gigabit Ethernet; MFG.PART: 470064-512; $1,600

It seems that (2), the "Smart Buy" server, is less expensive and more powerful machine.

Which one is good to buy? What is the difference between "Smart Buy" server and regular server?

What are Pros and Cons if we purchase Smart Buy DL360 server (we may go with this one because of the cost)? Does anyone have any experience of using HP Smart Buy server?

Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think "Smart Buy" actually defines a type of server. It just indicates deals that HP is running at the time. Looks like a no brainer for the smart buy. Plus, I believe the G5 is the latest and greatest generation of the ProLiant Dl360.

More: The following is the definition right from HP's site:

Smart Buys are the easiest way to get our most popular, expertly pre-configured, ready-to-ship business solutions at discounted prices.

what do you mean "no brainer for the smart buy"? Are you talking about memory? It has 2GB RAM.

I mean overall - better processor, more RAM, less money. If it were me I would buy the Smart Buy server.

No brainer meaning that the Smart Buy is the obvious choice. Are the drives SATA or SAS? That's a powerful cpu...Quad-Core, Intel Xeon Processor E5335 (2.0 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 4 x 2MB L2 cache).
It looks like this is the Smart Buy, except it comes with drives...

HP DL360 G5 Base Models

DL360R05 E5335 2GB

435943-xx1

Link this option to Partsurfer

QWQ1

(1) Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5335 Processor (2.00 GHz, 80 Watts, 1333 FSB)

437946-001

412199-001

2 GB (2x1GB) Standard on E5335 Model; PC2-5300 Fully Buffered DIMMs (DDR2-667)

No drives included; (4) drive bays active. (6) bays supported with optional storage cable (PN 399546-B21)

HP Smart Array P400i/256MB Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5) 512MB BBWC or BBWC optional upgrades

Burt

Thanks so..... much for your help. I am going to get "Smart Buy".

Unless you are planning a cpu intensive app server you'll probably find that your disks will be the bottleneck on any server. Plan carefully your raid configs and speed of disks as this can make a hell of a difference on a server and no matter how fast the cpu or ram in the box you'll always have performance issues

I am having trouble to get HP Smart Buy DL360 G5 server. I have tried CDW and Softmart. got the quote from them, but it is very hard to get hold of them and ask questions.

Will appreciate it very much if you know a place where I can get the system and have good customer service. Also to mention, we are non-profit agency. Thanks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back