Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hp dl 380 overheating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi folks,

Just wondering if you can help me out. We have ahad two of our live database servers go down over the weekend as a result of the pair of them shutting themselves down as they were over heating. Here are the entries in the event logs:

Server 1
---------
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: cpqasm2
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4120
Date: 30/06/2007
Time: 18:57:15
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The temperature (thermal sensor #5) of the system has exceeded the
threshold.

From the HP event log:
System overheating Zone 5 - Location: Power Supply Unit Temp 51c

Server 2
----------
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: hpqilo2
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 30/06/2007
Time: 18:50:15
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Thermal sensor 1 has exceeded its threshold temperature.

From the HP event log:
System overheating Zone 6 - Location: IO Board Temp 66c
--------------

Anyone else ever experienced any similar problems?

I know there is a heat issues but are there any fans in these zones that I can check on to see if they are still working?

The servers are located in a datacentre at the other end of the country and I am not familiar with what the setup is inside a DL380.

ANY advice gratefully received as I need to get to the bottom of the causes of these shut downs. We have 12 servers in the cabinet and these were the only two to report any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, should of added the server is a ProLiant DL385 G2

Firstly, are you running the latest firmware and BIOS updates because these can have an impact on how the fans run.

Secondly, what is the temperature inside your data centre and in particular inside the rack that these servers are located? The temperatures seem very high and the only time I have seen that is when the air conditioning failed in a machine hall.

Check out the link below for more information on the DL385 G2:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

How many fans are in the server? HP has cut the standard redundant fan option from 12 to 6. We called them on it and they said that 6 is enough fans to cool the server....blah, blah, blah. In my option they are doing what they can to cut the cost and increase profit margins. Not that that is a bad thing, they just won't tell you.

Being that it was two separate servers that both went down as a result of heat, I would have to assume that your AC unit went on the blitz per chance? Or is one server directly on top of another?

ie: power supply of lower server failed, thus creating a large amount of heat and thereby shut the server down above it (heat rising and all)

I don't know, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind. I can't speak for the G2's, but I have G4's & G5's and they typically have LED indicators on the power supplies/fans, etc... to let you know what their status is. Perhaps someone in that location can go take a look for you and give you a visual confirmation?

Just a thought anyway. Let us know what transpires!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back