Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Deskjet 712 and WinME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2001
US
I installed my deskjet 712c on my PC running WinME. I used the drivers off of HP's website. The site says the drivers will work with ME. But when I try to print, all 3 of the printer lights start flashing, and I get a Windows error box saying Communication with the Printer was Lost.

This printer works fine under Win95 and 98. And I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I don't really want to buy another printer right now! :>

is the same cable and pc that you tryed win 95 and 98 on when it worked So long and thanks for all the fish.

make sure the cable you are using is IEEE-1284 compliant meaning that it must be bi-directional. also make sure the printer port is set to ECP (Extended Capabilities Port) in the bios.

is the same cable and pc that you tryed win 95 and 98 on when it worked

It's the same cable, but a different PC. That brings up the question, "Is something wrong with the PC's parallel port?" I think I can swap in a hard drive with Win95 to try.

And it's a standard printer cable, so it should be IEEE-1284. Also the port should be ECP LPT1, but I'll double-check it.

Thanks. :O

I had the same problems a while ago when I used to dual boot with 2K and ME. I installed every hardware I have on 2K fine, but when it came to the printer, it crapped out on me. Now I use ME and had the same problem when I installed it. MY SOLUTION: USB cable. WORKED MIGHTY FINE. If you can with your printer, switch to a USB cable.

ME sux at hardwares but it is awesome on games.

s-)

"When the going gets tough, go POSTAL!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back