Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Deskjet 420 and Win2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynea

Programmer
Jul 11, 2000
US
Have a really starange problem. I have 2 computers, both running windows 2000 Professional (just got the second.) I have the two networked and talking fine, but the new machine will NOT print to my DeskJet printer. I've tried it as a local printer on the LPT1 on the new machine, tried it as a remote printer served by LPT1 on the old machine (which prints to it just fine,) and tried setting up a new "local" port using the \\[server name]\[printer name] trick. All I get is garbage - if it prints at all. I had downloaded a new driver when I first put 2000 on the old machine, and I tried loading that as well - no good. Both ports are set to ECP. Any ideas????

You may want to do the following.
1. Check if the file and printer services are enabled (default - enabled)
2. OLD - Computer: Select the properties of printer (by "Alt + Enter" on printer icon) and sharing the printer. This should copy the printer driver files locally for the computers trying to use this printer over network.
3. NEW - computer: Open network neighbour hood and double-click the printer icon. This should automatically install the drivers from the old computer onto the new computer.

let me know if this worked.

prasanna

I'm not sure where to find "file and printer services," but they should be enabled, since the "new" machine actually came from another office, and had both local and network printers running there. The printer was shared already on the old machine, so step #2 checked out, and installing the printer via step #3 gave me the same results. ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back