Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Deskjet 3420 USB Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuxej

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
Bought a HP Deskjet 3420, and a USB 2.0 cable. Boot my Pentium up than connect the printer's USB cable but PC did not detect. Through packaging stuff even box it came in. Left is only the printer cable and drivers. Check specs on the web and found out it's a USB 2.0 printer. Question: Does that mean I have to get a USB 2.0 card for my PC?

Yes. I check and it's enabled. I haven't try using another usb cable yet. I use a usb mouse to test the port and it detected it right away but when I plugged the printer, nothing. Even after I install the drivers and software the setup can't detect the printer either.

Yuxej

Howdy:

Totally remove the printer and all drivers and any operating programs for the printer.. Now, shut the system down and unplug the printer.

Boot up.. Now, load just the drivers and printer utility program.. Once that is done, shutdown again. Now plug the printer in and fire up again..

See how that works.

Murray

Yes, done that already. The problem: Is this printer compatible with USB 1.0? If it is than it's a cable or printer issue.

Yuxej

A USB2 Cable is just a higher grade and is downward compatible.
In BIOS is there a place to enable “Legacy USB” devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back