Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DC5700 + Red Hat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentek

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
I have a client that needs red hat 9 and Samba installed
does anybody know if an HP Dc 5700 is compatable and supports all devices

This says it will run SUSE, so it's good bet that it will run Red Hat, with perhaps a little fiddling with drivers, etc.

The HP website doesn't list it as being tested and certified with Red Hat, but it is certified with SUSE.

I don't think Samba will be an issue. Main concerns would be graphics drivers.

Red hat 9 is quite old - didn't support USB when I tried it and the sound devices played but no sounds came out.

Seems to have problems installing Fedora (Red Hat replacements) on HP too.

To be honest I know nothing about Red Hat 9 Or Linux .
The problem arose when I changed the machine over from the existing machine to a new HP dc 5700
I cloned the hard drive and fitted it into the HP with the original video and Networks cards from the original machine and every thing works fine except for the USB.
I ahve been told by the original supplier after they looked at the software (Red Hat 9) that the Kernals are old and they can't update them due to the version not being upgradable

Anybody know if this is true

So Bentek, a few thoughts on Linux maintenance and version naming...

"Linux" is both the proper name for the system kernel AND is a shorthand for an operating system distribution based upon the Linux kernel.

"Distributions" are the flavors of linux and supporting applications, configuration preferences, and default capabilities that are built by companies/parties who provide an installation of the kernel and apps. You may want to visit distrowatch.com to better understand the universe of distributions.

Components of distributions are either maintained through "package management" or compiling from source. Compiling from source to update an application or your kernel is probably a self-evident concept, but it's also a pain in many cases because of dependencies on other software. Package management, on the other hand, is generally a smart process that is very similar to how Microsoft provides automated system updates.

Essentially, linux distributions with automated package management will periodically poll a package source server run by the distribution vendor (or another 3rd party). If a new package is found, the package manager process will probably download the package(s) and attempt to apply them to existing, installed applications/kernel.

Soooo...........................

RedHat 9 is a distribution published years ago by Red Hat and RH9 has long gone out of support. This means that packages are not being updated for applications nor for the kernel.

Therefore, when someone tells you that the distribution you're proposing to install is not supported by the vendor and they are concerned about the kernel/application version, hopefully you'll understand why.

Obviously RedHat (or Suse, or Ubuntu, or ....) provide newer versions of their distributions - for free or for fee. Unless you have a committed requirement for using RH9, I would recommend that you identify a suitable, (much) newer distribution that is under package/support and proceed with that software instead.

OK?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I don't remember which Linux kernel introduced USB support, but it was one that came along a lot later than the kernel in RedHat 9. And I've read of people successfully doing a compile-upgrade of more modern kernels on RedHat 9, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I recommend that your client pony up the bucks for RedHat Enterprise Linux so you can get some technical support setting up the new system.

Barring that, try Fedora 8. It's the free Linux distribution by RedHat, it supports USB, and it comes with a probably much newer version of Samba that the old server is running.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back