Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP D5000t (Vista), short cycles on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwedger

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
PC was hibernating and did not respond when mouse was moved. In the past when this happened, I just manually powered down and restarted and all was okay. This time when I press the power button, it starts to run for a few seconds, then stops, and starts up again, repeating the cycle endlessly. Could this be a power supply issue? Worse?

It could be, have you looked at the system board for bad caps? I take it when you say it starts for a few seconds and then it loops, you just have some fans spinning, no video? or is there video? does it start the OS load, and than reboot? Or never gets to the OS. have you tried a bootable cd or thumb drive to see if it is the OS partition.

There's no video, which I take as being a good thing. The fans come on, whirring excitedly, then crap out after a few seconds, then it starts all over again. When I removed/replaced the RAM sticks I did not notice any bulged capacitors. I'm going to try a power supply first and hope for the best.

Yeah, hopefully you could borrow one to confirm your theory. I'd bet on the power supply though.

Clear CMOS first!

had a similar issue, and clearing out the CMOS (taking out the battery, unplugging the PSU from the wall outlet, and holding the power button for more than 10 sec. (depleting the caps)) was the ticket for it to boot back into the OS...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Couldn't hurt and it's free UNLESS you don't know what settings to put back into the BIOS. This would particularly be the case if you were booting from a RAID device and the RAID controller was reset.

At last, back to normal! Installed new power supply, and it ran, but no display. Removed/reattached all connections, pulled video card, reinserted, pulled/reinserted memory sticks, tossed some chicken bones, burnt incense, put hat on backwards, pulled pockets inside-out, stood on one foot, and now the thing is up and running! Thaks, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back