Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hp computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

computercare

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have a hp model 764n computer that I bought new 2 years ago. I would like to reformat the hd. The problem is that i didn't get any disks with the machine. I called hp and they told me that they don't send disks with them. Any ideas??

computercare

Is there MS certificate of authenticity with XP key on the machine (I'm presuming XP)? Is it OEM version?

If there is, have you any friends/colleagues with an OEM XP pro/home - depending what you have - ie same version as yours install CD they could lend you/let you copy? You could then at least reinstall XP - though you might need to find some drivers. You must be sure key matches install CD or it won't be accepted (eg, retail key doesn't work with oem install).

If no sticker, you can retrieve current key from o/s - but that may be no good for reinstall (manufacturers sometimes have same cloned key installed on many machines - so it won't activate if you used it to reinstall).

Other than that - can only suggest buying new copy of windows or asking MS for replacement media for your licence.

wolluf, this is slighty off the main topic - but you mention about 'manufacturers sometimes have same cloned key installed on many machines' - is this legal? Would it not appear to microsoft that they are all the same license key?

This explains an issue where i work....we bought a bunch of PCs from HP (most of the machines in the office, approx 24) - when i was auditing licenses lately, i noticed that many of the XP Pro keys were the same, dispite having different COA stickers on the PC cases....

So is this nothing to worry about in that case?

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

The other possibility is that HP installed the restore software on what is called a service partition. Most of our machines were configured that way, where you would hit F11 on boot up (or similar) and it would boot into a separate partition that contains an image you can use to restore your PC. I would watch your screen on boot up to see if there are any options like that.

Computercare,
You can purchase the restore cd's from HP. I would recommend this as it would be cheaper.The cost is usually around $25 plus s+h.

cyberspace - presume they have a deal allowing them to do this (so they can use same image on many machines) - as they do supply separate COA with valid different key too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back