Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Compaq nx6325 won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCGSTL

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2003
GB
My nx6325 was working perfectly well until yesterday evening. When I pressed the power button the usual lights came on (Caps Lock, Number Pad, hard drive) but then they all go off (1 or 2 seconds), the mute light comes on and then nothing. The fan is working, but there are no beeps.

I have checked the RAM and hard drive seating - both seem OK, and the fan is clear of dust.

Any suggestions most welcome - and many thanks in advance.

When it is plugged in, does it indicate the battery is charging? Remove the battery,and ac adapter,wait 30 seconds, plug in ac adapter but not the battery, try turning it on. Do any lights come on? If it acts the same, either there is a device, dvd drive,hdd or something holding down a voltage, or the motherboard is bad. If there are no lights coming on, without the battery, the AC adapter or the plug on the laptop is bad.

Thanks for the reply.
It appears to act exactly the same whether on battery power or AC.
The power light stays on, as well as the mute button. The Caps and Number Locks come on momentarily, as does the hard drive light. But that's it.

Try this:

Unplug AC adapter from laptop
Remove battery
Wait 30 seconds
Press power button for 10 seconds continuously
Press power button 5 times in 10 seconds
Attach to AC power adapter and try to power on

Thanks for the suggestion, but still left with the power and mute buttons lit, the fan on, but nothing else.

I think you may be right about the motherboard. Took the keyboard off and found the CMOS battery housing was broken, but even securing the battery in place made no difference.
Time for a new laptop I think.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back