Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Array Expansion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JST2101

MIS
Nov 16, 2011
GB
Hi All,

I'm new to TekTips and I'm a little rusty with HP Management Suite so please bear with me if I'm missing any information. This appears to be the best Forum for this posting.

A client of ours has a DL360-G5
Smart Array P400i
RAID Controller Firmware 2.10
3 x 146GB Drives in a RAID5 (Contaning Drives c:\, D:\ & E:\)

The client wishes to increase the amount of space available and I believe that this can be achieved by adding additional disks and then Expand Array/Expand Logical Drive.

Given the above information can you offer any advice as to whether I am correct or not?

One item I have noticed is references to Battery Backed Write Cache. How can I check if this is OK on my clients server?

Reading the HP spec indicates that the P400i has BBWC as standard but using the HP Management Suite > Storage > Array Controller Information shows Battery Status as "Not Present". Am I looking in the right place.

Any pointers/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to ask for more information if that helps with any replies.

Many thanks in advance.

Jason.

Hmm. Well, unfortunately, I am dealing with G3 ventage equipment. I have not seen anything newer. I would imagine the batteries should be good for 5 years. After that, all bets are off. I would just replace it. Cheap enough.

No matter what you decide to do, make sure you have several full backups in order to be able to recover.

Also, check the previous posts about array expansion. We were just talking about this including the time it takes to expand the array.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

Given my lack of recent experience with HP Management Tools can you confirm if I have checked the correct place for the WBBC details.

Many thanks for your help.

Jason.

JST2101,
The easiest way to know for sure is to open the cover. The battery for a P400 is the same as the ones for the P800. They are black, about an inch wide, and about 4 inches long. The battery is normally sitting on the air dam (for the processors) and it should have a connector cable that runs between it and the array controller. If your server is mounted correctly (cable management, etc.) you should be able to pull it out and remove the cover while the server is running.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back