Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp and the wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBCohen

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
US
I just bought a new laptop from HP and it has a wirless nic build in b/g. So I set it up and for a couple of days I had a great connection, and then no signal. Ok, so I renewed the ip address and it came back. Then the next time I turned on the laptop I had no connection, so I went into configuration. Changed the setting to "preffered network" and everything seemed to be fine for a couple of days. Quess what? I powered it up and had to renew my ip address. My network is wep and I entered the key. Help, what am I missing? The HP is a pavilion zv5000.

Thanks in advanced Adam

Questions?

How did you set up your wireless connection? Did you let Windows do it or did you manually set it up?

Is your IP address static or are you telling it to find one automatically?

What type of router are you using or Access Point?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. My connection is set up for infustructure and windows is in the driver seat. Also, my Ip address is found automatically. As far as my router it is a linksys. I do have wep enabled. Any advice that you can give based off the information I have given would be great.

Adam

Try configuring your laptop with a static IP of something like 192.168.10.2 with the LAN port of the router as 192.168.10.1 or as such in coorelation with your router. And tell the router to not use DHCP.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and let you know.

Ok I have turned on the computer for 3-4 days and each time is has worked. I have not given it a static ip yet, but I changed some of the settings. I went to a infastructure and changed the channel. The advice that you gave I will try within the next couple of days. Thanks again for your help.

Ok I found out what was really wrong. With out looking carefully at my situation I was using my neighbors router. I realized this when I went to log onto my router. To make a long story short I changed my ssid and gave the laptop a static IP. thanks you helped me out alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back