Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP A4846A (StorageTek 9714) Barcode reader issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose8

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
Hello,
I am having problems with my barcode reader for my HP A4846A Library Media Storage (LMS) device. I'm using Veritas Backup Exec Ver 8.5 backup software with Library option pack. The problem is that when I import a tape in to the LMS, it will only recognize the barcode serial number approx 10% of the time, the other 90% the media shows up as "unknown media" and I have to manually enter the serial number. This is very time consuming and I was hoping there is a quick fix or adjustment I could do. The tech support for HP was not helpful at all, and I dont think it is a software issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Hi goose8,

we had a problem with the barcode reader on a STK9710 - it did not recognize the barcodes properly, reported missing tapes, etc.
It helped to clean the lens. Now everything works fine

We are using self made barcode labels with a StorageTek 9710. They worked fine for a while until the 'serial' numbers where growing and also the width of the barcode.

To read barcodes correctly the reader needs a free (white, blank) start and stop zone beside the barcode (about 5 mm). Perhaps these zones are to small at your site.

For testing you could fix the original barcode label on a carrier (piece of paper) somewhat wider (+1 or 2 mm on the left and right) to see if the recognition rate will increase.

Sounds like incompatible labels to me, were the labels supplied by STK or HP? No others are supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back