Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hp a1000n keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

blesher

MIS
Jun 8, 2006
US
Have hp a1000n for about 1.5 years. All of a sudden, PC starts with HP screen (I can hear fan), then goes black (Fan slows down), the recycles back to HP startup screen.

I remove hard drive and it's fine. I followed HP instructions and ran fixmbr /device/harddisk0 to fix master boot record possible issue. No help.

Any ideas? thanks.

To check your RAM.

You can try Safe Mode to see if it will boot. You can also try the "Last known good configuration" option, and also the option to turn off Automatic Restarts, all of these options are accessible from the Safe Mode boot screen.

You could also try resetting your Bios to the Safe Defaults.

Check your hard drive - get diagnostic from drive manufacturer's site. If RAM was really bad it wouldn't boot with hard drive disconnected. If it won't boot to diagnostic floppy with hard drive in place, try hard drive as slave in another machine. If that won't boot, or won't read it, then drive is dead. Hope you've got a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back