Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 6L PRINTING GARBAGE CHARACTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stsmm

Programmer
Aug 13, 1999
US
I setup a new Gateway(standalone)with XP Home for the oldest secretary in the firm. She's using a HP6L that she's had for years. Now her Word docs are printing (intermitently) with garbage characters throughout the document. If she reprints the document, it's fine. Sometimes it prints fine for days, and then the problem could happen quite often.

I changed the parallel cable, downloaded new drivers from HP, ran all diagnostics they recommended (everything tested fine). This problem this problem occurs with old and new documents.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as she's about to kill me for setting up a new machine (she was using a 486 with 16mg).

you did an uninstall/reinstall, using the XP driver instead of the HP driver? Also, in the printer properties, check the language used between the printer and PC (advanced properties) If you see the word RAW, change it to text or another choice. Solves lots of problems. Strange that it only occurs now and then, with old and new documents. Try a different printer, or send jobs to a network printer and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back