Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 5l laserjet ALL PAPER ROLLS THRU

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnterhawk

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
I have an HP Laserjet 5L ... It is feeding all the paper thru each time. Is there a kit or a suggested solution other than only feeding one page at a time manually.

I have had an HP LaserJet 5L for a while now, and I had that problem. The only way to solve it is to keep a lot of paper in the cassette. When the pile of paper gets thin, it rolls through. Haven't had that problem since.

Hope this works for you.

For anyone that is looking for a solution still to this problem... I'm sorry I don't remember the details right now... but I did find a solution, by going to the HP web page.

for the laserjet5L, 6 thru the 1100:

this problems seems to be relatively, "expected" by HP if it's used a lot. The rollers get soft. so there is a kit that fixes the problem ( a one time fix and of course only temporary, but not sure how temp) there's a card board device they have produced that slips into the "offsize paper and envelope" guide ... you simply remove the adhesive tape cover ... slip this in push down and hold it for 10seconds then remove it. It puts something ..probably a cover over the roller so it grabs the paper better. This has solved the problem for the time being. I don't know how long it will last yet though. Just look on the HP web page under support and it'll send you too that fis ... OH and it's free.
but thanks for all the advice
Len (wnterhawk)

The link that I included above is pointing to that page where you can order the kits from....

I repair this printer often. This is a common problem with the HP 5l, 6l, and 31xx Fax machines. To fix it, order RG5-1951-000 (5L) or RG5-3486-000 (6L and 31xx) for the feed roller. For the seperation pad KIT order RY7-5077-000 ...it is pretty easy to change. Remove the three back screws, Insert a small flat blade screw driver into the rear paper guide on both sides to dis-engage. Then remove the memory door on the left side. Remove the two screws under the front door. Pop tabs under main plastic and remove covers. Then remove the paper guide, gear clutch, feed roller ground and plastic lock by turning. Note the two plastic black tabs on the feed roller as to how they sit in the printer, you will need to know how they sit for re-assembly. Then remove the feed roller, seperation pad, and two sub sep pads. Replace and reinstall feed roller assy. and make sure the clutch gear is inserted correctly (one notch is bigger then the other). Re-install paper guide and all covers. That should do it for a couple of years. Good luck!
To get parts, try .... they stock a lot and have good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back