Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 4600dn - poor print quality - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmark

Technical User
Nov 2, 2002
US
I recently purchased a new HP 4600dn printer. I am having the following problems with print quality:

1) The black toner cartridge is not working correctly. The black toner prints ok on the left side of the page, but it fades to nothing about the middle of the page. I ran a diagnostics page and all the other colors were fine, but the black page had the same right to left fading problem. The toner cartridge was new and came with the printer.

2) When printing in color I am getting some streaking from the cyan and magenta toner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A few hints:

1) Before exchanging the black toner, try printing a page consisting both black and color graphics. This will force the printer to mix the black color out of the three color toners instead of using the black toner itself. Afterwards compare the printout to the same printjob converted to greyscale and printed out.

2) Are the streaks at the same places on the cyan and magenta toner ? Are they repetitive ? If so, there might be a defect on them. I think there is a defect on the yellow toner too. Take a yellow printout into some bright light and check. Evt. light from the back of the paper, then lines/streaks should be easier to recognize.

Remember ! HP will exchange any of their toners for free during it`s entire lifetime until depleted if the toner should be proven defective. Just exchange the defect toner at your reseller. [thumbsup]

If you have already reset the printer and still you have poor print quality then I suggest that you change the printer cartridge first, then if you are still getting poor print quality then you may have a resonablly low quality printer. Either that or your drivers are not compatible with your hardware. Check via the Internet to make sure that your printer is compatible with your PC and your application s/w.
Thanks,
Kenya
UNIX SYS ADMIN - Network Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back