Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 2848 connected to HP 2824..crossover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublin101

Technical User
May 26, 2006
AU
Hi all..

I just put in a hp 2848 in the server room and a HP 2824 in our warehouse (about 75 metres) away....

plugged them in from the patch panel...and no go!..not even a light or any indication whatsover that there was a link.

if i plugged it into the cisco 2950, it would work and vice versa..but the two HPs together would not work..........

so basically it is HP2848 ----HP2824.

there is no configuration except an IP on each switch.

the only thing i could think of was perhaps that the HP switches can't recognise the cable and needed a cross over...i didn't have one around so i had to call it a day.

i am hoping it is only a cross over issue...in the meantime i had to revert to using a CISCO 2950 ---- HP2848.

advice appreciated. thanks.

Odd. The 2824 switch supports auto-mdx but the 2848 does not. I'd have never guessed.

So yes, you're going to need a crossover cable.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back