Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 2650 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I have 2 2650 switches by HP in my rack connected by 1 Cat5 patch cord. They are 95% full.

I have added 30 new locations in a new adjacent space and ran those cables to a local rack and patch panel. I then pulled 2 Cat5e cables from that space to my rack where the 2650s are located.
The distance is only 150' apart, so I did not opt for fiber.

How can interconnect these two networks with the 2 Cat5e cables?
If the 2650 is discontinued what do you recommend in the ProCurve line?

Thank you!

See if you can get a good deal on a Procurve 5406.
You will need it to have 4x 24-port modules, plus get a redundant power supply for it.

Then,

- document all the 2650 switchports - if any have special config on them (hard-coded speed/duplex, etc...) then record that fact and label the cable that has this requirement so when you unpatch it you will know where to patch it back in later
- unpatch all the 2650 switchports
- unrack both 2650s
- rack the 5406
- downgrade the 5406 to K14.89 firmware (K15 is flakey)
- repatch all leads
- make sure spanning tree is enabled on the 5406, set it to have the highest priority so it becomes root (ie, change it from "4" to "1" priority)
- Patch the wiring closet interconnect ethernet leads to separate modules on the 5406
- rack one of your now-spare 2650s in your new wiring closet
- update the 2650 to H10.83 firmware
- patch your 30 new connections to it
- enable spanning tree rapid
- patch the two wiring-closet inter-connects to the remote 2650.
- from your new "core" (5406), do a "Sh lldp inf rem" and ensure you can see the remote 2650

I should add - the two wiring closet interconnect links should automatically form an aggregated link. Check this by doing a "show int br" or a "show trunk", or whatever it is.

If they don't (and I've not played with a 2650 since 2006, long before I had any 5406s, so I don't know if they will negotiate a trunk OK anyway), then actually configure a trunk at each end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back