Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 2/40 to Veritas via fiber - drivers needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeptor

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
Our hardware consists of two computers (a Dell 6450 and a Compaq DL380) connected through a Compaq fiber channel arb. loop switch to a raid array (also Compaq). Additionally, we have an HP 2/40 tape library (2 drives, 40 slots) connected to the fiber switch. I have installed BackupExec on the Compaq DL380 and while it can see the two HP drives long enough to install it's drivers it fails to find them for use. It cannot identify the Medium Changer, although Win2K sees both drives and the changer (it identifies it as 'Unknown Medium Changer') - on both computers.

My questions are, 1.) if I purchase the Library Expansion Option will I then find the medium changer and the drives or is there something wrong with my installation so far, and 2.) are there drivers I need to download which are specific to the HP surestore 2/20, 2/40 and 4/40 products or are the drivers that came with BackupExec sufficient for this hardware?

I'm amazed that at this level of sophistication and cost these devices are having so much trouble communicating.

thanks in advance.

I have a HP Surestore 2/40 also with Ultrium drives. I am using Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition. In the device manager, the Ultrium drives show up with the yellow warning and my medium changer is also unknown. This is just a Windows thing and per HP, this is OK and will always appear this way. I downloaded HP Tape and Library Tools tp help configure this in combination with the Arcserve software that controls this device. After about a month of phone calls with HP and Arcserve, it now runs wonderfully. This was not without a little pain though. If you have any issues, each company blames the other for any short comings. Is this tape library on the compatibilty list with Veritas? I've never checked. Better make sure!!
Hope this helps.
The Infoman

Thanks, Infoman. I purchased the Library Expansion Option and the system integrated, but still identified the changer as unknown. If I had it to do over I'd shop for software alternatives much more rigorously. I feel like I was led down a garden path requiring that I discover and buy module after module. Why Veritas can't tell us during the free trial period *which of their modules are being used* totally escapes me.
Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated. This case is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back