Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 1100 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE

Technical User
Oct 25, 2000
US
I'm using a HP 1100 printer and Win XP. It is a network printer.

I'm having the following problems:

.pdf : Landscape switches to portrait

.xls : Will not print landscape, even if page set up says landscape. Mangles any file that is more complex than just numbers typed into cells.

.doc : Claims that it's outside of the print area no matter how narrow I make the print area.

I looked at the HP site, and the last driver update I saw was from 2002. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thank you

You did not say what kind of network your printer is on. Strange as it may seem, that does make a difference. This could be your problem if you have a Windows NT server:

Windows NT server runs print drivers in "kernel mode", with a higher risk of crashing the server, but Windows 2000 and later servers run printer drivers as user mode processes. Windows NT server can handle only version 2 drivers whereas later servers can use either version 2 or 3.

Read the full article in this link from HP which says your symptom could be an issue of driver incompatibility in a mixed OS environment: "There is not a single set of symptoms which can be seen when client and server print drivers are different and not compatible in this way, but common symptoms include the clients not being able to see the proper queue configuration with respect to installed device options and default settings. Other problems in functionality can include the inability to print in landscape or print from a specific paper tray." From what it says print servers using Windows NT should be moved to a newer OS to use the latest drivers and get better stability at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back