Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp 1020 "Printer name invalid" error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathros

MIS
Dec 29, 2000
US
I have an hp 1020 that im trying to install on a windos 2k machine. It installed once and ran fine, but then the day after the user got print spooler error messages (I didn't write them down at the time, just killed the spooler and restarted it). From that point on the printer has not worked. I went to the HP web site and removed some registry keys (old non installed printers) that they suggested and rebooted. Now I have a coupl eof issues:

No USB printer ports show up, neither does LPT1, only network printer ports appear.

The plug and play recognizes the printer, goes through install and then stops with an error message that installation could not complete because the printer name is invalid.

I have ininstalled the software, rebooted and reinstalled several times. But nothing works.

Any ideas?

Have you plugged other devices into the USB ports to verify they are still working?

Also, from what I can tell, the print spooler issues are related to installing the entire support software located with the HP printer software. You should install the most recent driver ONLY from HP website, if you can - as opposed to loading entire software.

If no USB ports are being installed I believe the DOT4 ports (HP virtual USB port driver) are not being generated correctly by Windows.
I cannot tell why your local LPT port(s) has disappeared though ? Perhaps you deleted something you shouldn't have done in the registry...
Are you able to install the driver and select the printer to be connected locally at all or only as a networked printer ?
Did you use the CDROM that came with the printer or did you download and use a driver ?
Please check here : for the latest drivers.
If you need the DOT4 port generator files let me know and I will make them available.

I have been on vacation so I haven't been able to reply.

The oriiginal CD is missing, but I've downloaded the plug and play driver, the regular driver and the full package from hp.com support. All 3 do the same thing.

Being able to get the dot4 usb drivers back would be a big help I think.

Thanks!

I downloaded the program, but when I run set up I get the "preparing installation" dialoge and it gets to 99% and quits. No ports seem to be installed.

Since this whole issue started with a print spooler error please ensure that no remaining files in the spool directory can impact any new printer installation.
Locate the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete any files there.

Lastly check this doc. that might apply to your issue also.
Before trying any reinstallation attempts please remove any previous installed driver that might be present for the printer.

The DOT 4 port will not be generated until you connect the printer, so you should NOT have the printer connected when you start your PC but after you have logged into windows.

Ok, I've done all of this, and everytime it try to install the printer, I get a "cannot install printer - printer name invalid message" even though I'm never prompted ofr the printer name when the plug and pray printer program runs.

If I use the manual instal, it asks for a port first, and of course there are no usb ports showing. I did finally get it to install using a network port (wich won't work a it's another printer) thikning I could then change the port, but the usb ports still do not show up. Usb print support is in teh device manager. There is no usbprint.inf (or what ever the file name is on the computer.

Your printer name hasn't got any non-alphanumeric characters in it, has it? Like * or / ?

On Win2K, that would produce that error message.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back