Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto use 2 different IP net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyloncorner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 25, 2003
SE
My network is using 192.168.0.x and all is working fine, exept that I have a special manufacturing machine (device) that not will acceppt .0 as a IP adress but using 192.168.1.xxx for example works fine. I don't want to change my server and the whole network just for getting this device to work. So is there any other way around to get two different networks to work together?
I guess a second NIC on the server and using the routing function in W2k server maybe work.
I use a Win2000 server and simple switches with no routing function.
Sorry for broken English

You can use your server to do what you are looking for, two nics.

You will need to add routers into your topology to truly "route" two different networks.
Set all of your addresses to 192.168.0.x, where X= 1 - 254, and remember that in your implementation, specifically, 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.255 are reserved addresses

one is the network address and the other is the broadcast address of your network. In a hub / switch environement, you have one big broadcast domain. you may want to look into VLAN Switching or adding at least one router anyway, then balance your network between both addresses.

This slight upgrade will require all switches, but...you will now have control of bridge loops, your broadcast traffic will be split in half, and most importantly, each device will have 10/100 MB dedicated on it's switchport in it's own collision domain. Optimize bandwidth!!!

Good Luck.

You can do this on a single NIC by adding a secondary IP address and turning on IP forwarding. Unfortunately it also means that you need a routing table for your LAN unless you install the secondary address your default gateway.

Most moderately capable routers can support this function easily. I've done it on NT servers in the past, where the NT server was also the default gateway. I've also done it on Linux, and several routers like an Ascend and Cisco. You don't have to switch the network, and you don't have to have a NIC for each network, but doing so will certainly improve your overall performance.

Of course it is not that difficult to re-subnet your network if you are using DHCP.

pansophic

pansophic
The only thing that I am a little confused about with changing the adress for the network is the DNS. Should I re-install it after or what? If the there is something wrong with the DNS I guess there will be problem with login for the clients, and maybe all of them have to do a new network identification. At least the XP clients. I'm not realy sure what my problems will be here.

Thanks for your anwers anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back