Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOWTO setup/run a Linux game/web server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotech66

Technical User
Apr 19, 2005
US
I want to start a side project. I want to run a linux Call of duty server. The only problem I have never set up one of these systems for anything besides a workstation. Does anyone know a good source for set up and instructions to run a server? I want to run gentoo or another distro most likely in command line only format. Would it also be possible to run a web server from the same computer with apache since my site would not receive too many hits? I want to run command line because my processor is not incredibly powerful, and my graphics card is not very good. Its an old 800Mhz Intel processor with a motherboard built in display.

you don't need a graphic environment in order to run apache... go for it. read the documentation.

cheers.

I'm more worried about the game server then the web server. Any help with that?

I've run Quake, Wolfenstein, Counter Strike and UT servers on linux and they all run without graphics in dedicated server mode. The graphics are what takes most of the horsepower.

Yeah. Depending on how much traffic or players you'll have, you'll just need a lot of RAM to take care of it..
So don't forget to activate the high-memory support if you have more than 800 megs of RAM in there.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

This fairly easy. You'll wany to run a distro that has packages for the game. None of the dedicated server executables require X (that is a graphics enviroment). After setting up the distro wget/apt-get/YUM/emerge the packages (binary or source) and let it fly.

I've been thinking of creating a Knopix based distro that has (at least) the linux ports three quake games on it, and preconfigured to connect to a cenral server (I can pull a few strings to get one at the uni, I think). Then, have the orginization (IEEE-CS sell the CD as part of a Lan party for recruiting, fundrasing and general fun). Don't know if it'll get done though.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back