Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto setup "service down" email-notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnowNix

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
NL
Looking for a (freeware) tool which send email-notification if a specific services goes down.
It should display the (full)service-name in the subject or body of the mail.

Now using scheduled BLAT-scripts. Can display the hostname in subject, but can't get the servicename into variable / subject.

Thanking you in advance.

DO any of the "monitored" servers have a public address? I ask as there are dozens of free "very reliable" online monitoring sites, that one can refer :)

Otherwise if private, suck it up and use Double Take :) I never recommend free anything to manage all things Microsoft as they are just to trusting and leave themselves open for attack. *nix is totally different. (*nix being Unix, Linux etc..)

Serious though don't use free on the servers, it is a bad path to start going down.

Foo

There are plenty of reliable free software packages which can be used on Windows servers without issue.

As for a monitoring package you can look at Nagios which is free. Personally I use Servers Alive. It costs a couple hundred US but it is easy to setup and works pretty well.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back