Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto Restore a CVS repository from another server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntbill

Programmer
Jun 7, 2006
PT
I had a slackware 10.2 server with CVS. I checked it out and then formatted it and installed a slackware 11.0 with CVS.

I want to know IF I can and how to put that CVS module I have back into the new server, with the CVS versions and commits just like it was on my old server. I can create a new repo and put the files there, but I wanted to keep my old commits... You never know if it will be needed :)

Thank you

Did you take a full copy of the repository or did you just check out a (possibly the current) version of all the sources in it?
If all you did was a checkout then it sounds to me like you've lost all that history.
Sorry

--------------------------------------
Are respectable professionals in considerable peril merely by being in my presence?
---Emma the Mad (or the Well-Beloved)

I have both the checkout and the full repository directory.

How can I do the recovery with the CVS dir?

thank you

Can anyone please help me?

I have still no resolution to my problem...

Thank you

With CVS, all you do is put the module folder in the root and you have all your history.

I've have tons of projects where we have updated the entire module so we archive and remove the module to start fresh.
I've had to get old files and get older versions for whatever reason and you can
A) place the old module in the root
B) place the ,v file in an existing directory to get it's information

Well thank you.

I hadn't tried to put the cvs directory tree into my new cvs home beacuse it seemed too simple.

But It worked!

Now I have it working again, without loosing my projects history. I had to change some permissions on the directory, and now all works fine.

Thank you rrsub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back