Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto force NAL app to container ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbeach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2003
Hello people
I´m using NW6sp5 + ZFD3.2sp3

I am trying to force installation of a NAL app on a container which contains a number of PC´s but I can´t get it to work.

I started with associating the app with a user and force the app to that user, and that worked fine. Then I associated the app with a container and checked the force box, but when I logged in to a computer which resides in that container nothing happens.

Do I have to do something else to get the app to be forced out to computers in a container ?

/Dan

I can't remember if ZEN 3 had this functionality, but in newer versions, you associate to the container and then tell it whether it is for USERS or WORKSTATIONS or both...

So the assumption is, if you assign it to Workstations, you have workstation objects in that container you are associating it to.

I'm guessing your container you have associated it with has no workstation objects in it and that is why you are having problems.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

When I associate to a container I do get the question if I wanna associate to user, container or both, I choose container.

The strange thing is: When I have associated to a container and I log in to a computer which resides in that container, I can see the application in naldesk, and I can also run it, the only thing that doesn´t work is forcing it to run, why is this ?

/Dan

Anyone have experienced this before ?

Thank you Provogeek ! I have been looking for a solution for this problem for a long time.. spent many hours on support.novell.com, but I had not seen this specific TID.

Now.. you say you call the forced run app in a post script for the app object, could you elaborate on this a bit ?

/Dan

If I have an application object that I would like to associate and force run with a workstation, do you mean I should specify a distribution (or launch script) from the application to call itself ? Sounds strange, I must have missunderstood you...

Go to your app object, find the "Run Options" tab, choose the Launch Scripts page. Now enter in a command in the in the "Run after Termination" window to launch your application. Use the same type of script commands as you would in a login script. Have it call a bat file (or VBS, or my fav would be an AutoIT EXE) that executes your application.

This way, your app object will run, do basicly nothing, and when it closes it will execute the BAT file then will give your the function your looking for.

note
You use either a # or a @ to execute an external command with in a Novell login script. The differece is, a # will halt script execution until the command terminates. A @ will execute the external command and continue script proccessing.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I made an app that did basically nothing, then I put
@c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
in the "Run after termination" and then set the app to force run.

I associated it with a user, worked like a charm.
I associated it with a workstation, didn´t work...

Any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back