Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

howto: do an internal apache redirect from mod_perl

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadedecho

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
US
Inside of a perl CGI script (run through mod_perl on Apache), I want to be able to inspect a URL and based on certain conditions, either decide to allow the requested file or alternately respond with some other behavior (like a 404 or whatever).

So, essentially, I have a .htaccess file routing all my requests to one perl script, and I want that perl script to be the gateway that decides if a certain file is ok to request or not.

The catch is, when I want to allow the file to be requested (like a .html file for instance) I don't want to have to sniff/guess the content-type and then open the file and echo the contents. I just want to signal to Apache to serve the file as normal (via just a normal internal redirect).

I do not want a regular 301 redirect that the browser will be notified about, I want an internal redirect so the user/browser don't know the difference.

OK, so I think I've found the right module to do what I want:

However, the code samples here assume the presence of this magical $r that I don't know where it comes from. It's not automatically defined in my perl script.

Code:
  use Apache2::SubRequest ();
  $r->internal_redirect($new_uri);

So, how do I create $r (or access it)?

I've seen this:

Code:
sub handler {
  my $r = shift;
  my $req = Apache2::Request->new($r);
  #...
}

But I'm left wondering, does "handler" function automatically get called? Or is there some other magic to get it called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back