Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhawani123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
IN
Hello everybody,

I have a /space/software are in my Sun-Solaris 2.7 version.I have been assigned the ownership to user(ajay).Now user ajay is owner of /space/software directory.
But whenever he want to assgined subdirectory of /space/software directory ownership to another user.it gives the following error.

not owner

Can Anybody tell me How can he assigned the ownership to another user.

Thanks,
Bhawani

Hi Bhawani,

Did you set the ownership of *all* the files and directories below that point? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Try using chown with the flags "-Rf" (Recursive and Force operation) if you want to assign rights to a directory and every file/directory within.

Hello MikeLacey,

Yes,All the directory and files ownership to that user.But problem is he can not assign right to another user.

Thanks,
bhawani

by default solaris restricts chown operations

add the following line to the /etc/system file:

set rsdchown=0

then reboot

this will allow normal users to use chown, that should take care of your problem.

Hi htm3,

I tried it but getting same error and I am not able to do change ownership of file.

Thanks,
Ajay

Thanks,

Now It is working.

Thanks Again.

Ajay

Status
Not open for further replies.