Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howmany concurrent call can support by Gatekeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsahafi

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2003
CA
Howmany concurrent calls can support by a Cisco Gatekeeper like 3640 or 3660 ?

If I want to order for a GateKeeper ( 3640 ) what accessories should be included ? what kind of IOS is needed ? what Modules should be included ?

This is one of those questions that requires a couple of hundred questions.
But generally routers are sized basd on bandwidth requirements. VOIP is going to use some of that bandwidth just like other ip based applications. Example 3600 runs between 40 and 120 kpps assuming you keep serialization under controll you can safely run at 60 -80 percent of that range before you start tincanning. Now before one of you hot shots out ther starts flaming please keep this in mind my networks are near perfect from both a protocol and interface prospective layers 1 and 2. (see I do live in a Cisco reality)

A little homework
Take the ciso product guide and estimate trafffic flows with some realistic frame sizes then look up serialization then recalculate based on codec.
Wala

Irasman,almost no one in this forum flames people as a general rule. If you say something that someone disagrees with they usually just post why they think you may be wrong in what you say, and in most cases with tact. They also supply a reason or fact behind why they think you might be wrong. All of us are here because we want answers to questions we can't solve. One of us is bound to know more than an other about one thing. That's why the forums work so well, we try to get along and not be pre-madonas or showoffs.

I happen to agree with what you say, if you design things correctly, you should get a high tolerance in your network. So 60-80% sounds reality based to me as long as you have all your stuff squared away. Besides, isn't that what QoS is all about getting the most out of you available bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back