Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How you feel the Project Manager should react to these changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Apr 23, 2011
GB
Hi guys,
Am a a bit new to project management and I need some advice for my paper. I've been doing some research but I couldn't a proper respond on how to deal with a situation like that. I don't have much experience and I would like some guidance.

Here is the scenario:

A key contractor has found some unexpected problems and cannot use the construction equipment originally planned for their work. They have offered a proposal to revise the working methods with no change to the quoted price, but due to the difficult working conditions they will require an additional week to complete their work.

so do you guys think a project manager should react to these changes, how would he deal with it?

Some ideas for you to consider. (Not saying these are the most critical or the best, just something to get started with.)

-Did the PM include in the project plan reasonable contingency time and money and will it cover the situation? How much impact does 1 week have in the schedule? ( If the project was expected to be 2 weeks then significant, if 2 years not so much. )

-How/should the stake holders be notified.

-How does this effect the other pars of the plan, e.g. is this task on the project’s critical time line?

-Remember a PM can several different ways to deal with (possible) issues, e.g. insurance, ‘pay for it’, change the plan etc.

-How (if at all) has the PM prepared for this situation, and why not just follow the prepared plan. (OK I know in the real world a PM cannot plan for all situations, but if this was part of the critical path some preparation should have been done, e.g. sitting down and think if X happens what is Plan B, or C )

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

If it's not on the critical path (and I don't mean the list of arbitrarily determined "critical tasks" but, rather, the tasks where float = 0) then don't sweat it, move on, it's not important.

If it's on the critical path, determine what penalties the contract will impose and go from there.

Finally, look at the contingency you have in your schedule and see if this is a big issue. If it is then you probably can't crash the schedule so look at fast tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back