Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would you set up redundant paths for inbound??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notaro

MIS
May 21, 2002
US
We are thinking about moving our web sites in house. We would like to have a primary T1 and have some kind of lower bandwidth connection as a backup through a different ISP in case the primary T1 fails. Configuring such a scenario for outbound traffic isn't a big deal but I'm not sure how to do it for inbound. I know my big issue would be the DNS entry for the web site would have to point to a different IP address. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. This probably doesn't belong in this forum so I apologize.

Sounds like you want a static nat map for your internal
webserver and possibly a ddr backup link.
Look up these terms on the cisco website, and when you have specific questions ask.

If you aren't terribly concerned with perfect load balancing, etc, I think you can just get your secondary ISP to advertise your primary ISPs address space that is assigned to you and you should be fine.

Anybody know if this is getting more difficult to do? Are ISPs getting more reluctant to do this due to the impact on the Internet routing table size? These days I mostly deal in closed private networks so I'm not always up on what ISPs are and aren't doing.

There are lots of example configs on CCO for dual-homed ISPs. Since there are so many options, you should do some basic research to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back