Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would you know if you would be a good project manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2011
AU
Hi everyone. I have been in IT a long time and am currently a testing consultant where my duties can range from senior analyst, test lead, test management.

I am interested in moving to something else within IT but not sure where to go. How would I know if I would make a good project manager?

I don't think my presentation skills are that good and that is I haven't had much opportunity to use them.

My communication skills are ok sometimes and other situations maybe not so experienced. I am good one on one with people. In a group meeting, sometimes other people run over me; The louder more aggressive people that is.

I should put down my good points. I am told I have great people skills. I have a uncanny knack for motivating people. I have strong IT skills and know and understand the SDLC. I understand and get the big picture. I can easily see where something is going wrong.

How would I improve my communication skills?

It appears that the most critical quality that a PM must have is skills as a communicator.

Motivation is merely part of communication. You need to keep everyone up-to-date so you need to be able to communicate to senior executives, your project sponsor, internal and external stakeholders, resources, the PMO ... in short, you need to be able to craft messages to all involved (directly or peripherally).

After that, bringing the project in on time, in on budget should be a breeze.

Check your EQ - Emotional Quotient... That would help determine if you can get along with folks with different temperaments & situations and how you handle the wins & loses on the job.

You communication may be excellent, your IT skills may be unmatched, however inappropriate response & timing may not make a good PM.

I can vouch that folks with medium communication skills (even those who are introverted, taciturn) make good managers as long their team members trust them for their judgement, empathy and fairness.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back