Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would you do a "Wait..." page

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhawkins

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
US
I had a "wait..." page on a site and when I moved it to IIS6 it totaly stopped working. It output the wait message and then used Response.Flush to send that to the browser while it finished loading the results. Once all the results were loaded it hid the "wait" message. I've tried a lot of things to get that working again with no success.

So... I'm looking for ideas on how to make an interum wait page between the search form and search results because sometimes it can take a full minute to get results and there is nothing that can be done to speed that up. We've found that we definitely loose people waiting for the results when the "Wait" page doesn't work.

So, one idea was to have an actual page in between that accepted the search criteria and displays the "Wait" message and then passes the search criteria on to the search results page. That one seems like a lot of work for a simple process.

Have any better ideas?

Travis Hawkins

Could you do a two queries. Overall this would make it take longer but maybe if you first do a faster "preliminary verison" you could send the first 10 results and then flush that to the browser along with a message the full/final results may take a few mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back