Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Would I get a Program off a 8051-based Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a control box for one of my remote control cars and one of my buddies programed it for me in both BASIC and Assembly Language. I have been able to get the BASIC portions of the program but I am having trouble retrieving the Assembly part. I have been using Hyperterminal to use the embedded software in the microcontroller to look at the program one line at a time, but I would like to get the whole program. If anyone has any ideas on how to retrieve prgram please let me know.

I don't know 8051 very well, but usually such chips need a hardware programmer to dump the program.

BASIC code is a high level language, and is translated into machine code in the chip.

Hi,

Can you tell us what is the microcontroller that is used in your remote control.

I would find the 8051 manufacturer website and download the 8051 manual (or locate elsewhere).

This manual should give and explain all of the command codes used in terminal to download and save contents of chips to a file.

this file can then be disassembled.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back