Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would i best code a editable news page Not using a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanNav

Programmer
Feb 26, 2001
Hi,

I have a bit of a weird question.

I am trying to create a quick News page on this website i am doing for my friend.

Sounds simple right....

A couple of drawbacks.

We do'nt have alot of money to spend on hosting so we are using reg123's starter package. This doesn't support PHP MYSQL ASP or any such likes. It support CGI/Pearl scripts but that is all...

My friend, wants to edit the news on the page himself.

I thought this would be easily done using a direct read from the text file to the website using javascript.

Does anyone have any examples scripts i can look at or any better advice.

Many Thanks,

Ian

ps, sorry to ask such a lame question, i haven't really got a clue about websites, i am a database programmer by day ;-)

you don't need to know html to edit text. if you can show him how to identify where the text is he can edit it in the page.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Like bombboy says, he should be able to keep a simple page up-to-date using nothing fancier than Notepad.

You don't, however, need anything more than Perl to build a news system using Perl, and you don't need to build it yourself either. Check out this page for sixty-odd possible scripts:
-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back